Purbrook Horticultural Society
Every year the Purbrook Horticultural Society aim to encourage children to the world of gardening. We organise competitions and visit schools to talk about subjects such as -
How Vegetables and Flowers grow;
To help children become aware of seasons and seasonality of foods;
Help them with the patience and dedication required to enjoy the fruits of their labour.
Inter Schools Trophy Competition - 2020
Each year the competition is open to places of education in our region -
2. Primary Schools
3. Senior Schools
4. Schools for Special Needs - [Special Needs Schools may choose a category they feel most suitable and will be judged within that category on an equal basis]
The type of class entries for 2020 are:
The 2020 class entries are as follows and you may choose any or all of the five options shown below -
1. Using reclaimed materials, make and decorate a stand to display pots for Indoor or Outdoor use. Send Photographs.
2. Using Containers, decorate, fill with sugar syrup and hang. Photograph and list all Insects feeding on it.
3. Grow ingredients for and make Beans and/or Vegetable Spaghetti in Sauce. Give recipe and Photograph.
4. Draw, Craft or Paint a Flower or Vegetable grown in the School grounds. Send as many as like.
5. Decorate a Gardening Hat or Cap. Send 2 only but if extra made, send photographs of the remainder.
Once your school has decided
Choose the best overall 5 per School [ may be in differing classes], label and carefully transport the items you have entered on the competition form by 29th MAY 2020 to the following address :-
Mrs Piddington [PHS]
40 Westbrook Grove
Tel 023 9226 1149 or EMail Lynda
ALL ENTRY FORMS MUST BE SENT IN BY: 1st January 2020
Trophy and Winners
A Trophy will be awarded to the winning School following voting by attending members at the Purbrook Horticultural Society monthly meeting held in June. Members decision will be final.
Previous 2019 Winners - School Results
In 2019 the following schools were awarded trophies for their competition entries. All of the school entrants were worthy winners of a Trophy. We would like to extend our grateful appreciation to the generosity of members attending the June PHS meeting using coins as votes, and the sum of £30 was raised and granted to Barncroft Primary in order to purchase further gardening supplies.
Purbrook Junior School
Purbrook Park Secondary
St Alban’s Primary
Warren Park Primary